Instead of actually playing the game I just build combos. That should give you an idea on how fun this game is.
Pieces of Cake
You're baking cakes for the Winter holidays! You do this by putting ingredients into a tray and trying to score the most points by assembling the longest combos possible!
This is an entry in the 2018 PICO-8 Advent Calendar - day #10.
Use your mouse or touch to drag and drop ingredients into the tray. If you prefer, you can also play using your keyboard or a gamepad:
Arrows - select stuff, Z - confirm, X - cancel
How to play
The easiest way to learn is the "how to play" option in-game, but here is the gist:
- You make cakes by playing tiles into the tray. When the tray fills up, the cake is baked and scored.
- You get a recipe for each cake. The total score on tiles with a given ingredient has to at least match the number in the top-left corner.
- Tiles with the same ingredients fuse together when placed next to each other.
- Tiles with different ingredients interact through links. There are colored knobs on the sides of tiles. A red knob means that a tile will link with a red tile in this direction (the color of the score tag matters). Tiles earn bonus points when linked (equal to the lowest score already on them) and swap places.
- You can use all that swapping to make combos, which score extra points to all the tiles in your tray.
- Every link or fuse that you make earns you an extra tile to use.
Click download now to get access to the following files:
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
This is a fantastic little game :-) I wish we had a limited number of "undos" to help when the I fatfinger something :-P
Just recently got to this, and I think it's excellent. The learning curve is really beautifully executed.
love it. i keep coming back to play it.
Actually, that's pie. Not cake. I don't know where they call pie cake but that is clearly pie you're making in the game and not cake.
Outside of that, I have no complaints. I don't even like puzzle games most of the time but this one is alright and honestly reminds me of Mai-chan's Sweet Buns in terms of both gameplay and the theme being baked goods.
Yeah, the picture is of a pie, you caught me. In my defense, there is only one word for cakes and pies in my native language, so the difference was always a little bit confusing. Glad you liked the game itself, though!
That's fine. I'm just a bit of a stickler when it comes to these things. Obsessive Compulsive Disorder compounded through co-morbidity with Autism tends to leave me a bit more detail-oriented than some would like, myself included. I still enjoyed the game though. Keep up the good work.
I like calling pie cake.
Oh man, this is really fun and I feel like I'm just starting to get the hang of it. Best game score 354, best cake score 111, that'll do for now. :)
Edit: Okay, now best game/cake is 675/362 and I feel a bit more pleased with myself.
I'll have to invent a new cake adjective just to accomodate that score! :)
Don't feel in a hurry, none of my other attempts even got close -- I think I got pretty lucky with my ingredients that round!
480 for best single cake, crazy luck with getting the right ingredients. It was on one of the first few levels, the total score for the round was low 500. Best single round was low 700, cakes averaging over a hundred. The last round of that 700 something was terrible, the ingredients that came up were the worst!
Amazing stuff.... then in pico8 too.